Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. All opinions remain my own. You can learn more about our editorial policies here.
You invested in a great pair of headphones. Now you want to keep them that way! Here are some easy steps for keeping your favorite set of cans or earphones in top condition for years to come.
1) Get the right case: When you’re not using your headphones, it’s important to store them properly so they don’t break easily when they’re stored away. A good sturdy case will help protect against knocks and scratches while also protecting the delicate wiring inside from getting tangled up or broken by rough handling with other items. Below are a few sample cases from Amazon. When choosing a case make sure to select the correct size. I like the Slappa cases for over the ear cans and nothing beats the protection of the Pelican cases for earbuds.
2) Treat your headphones with care: This one is obvious, but it’s worth stating again. Always be gentle with your expensive cans and means.
3) Keep them clean: Headphones can collect dirt and grime just like any other device. Make sure you keep them clean by gently wiping the hardware with a soft cloth to remove dirt and dust, especially if you’re prone to placing them on your ear while working (and picking up lot of crumbs!)
4) Use the correct settings: Amplifiers can come in both passive or active varieties. You may need to switch the impedance or peak power of your amp to get a better sound out of low impedance, high powered headphones.
5) Get some air: Don’t keep your headphones in an enclosed space when not in use with other items. This is important if you have open-backed models that do not seal tightly around your ears.
8) Don’t keep them in direct sunlight: Always try to avoid keeping your headphones in a hot and sunny environment. This can damage the hardware and make components brittle, more likely to break or warp if exposed to surprise heat changes.
9) Keep it out of the rain: If you’re caught in an unexpected downpour with your headphones, the best thing to do is take them off and let them dry in a climate-controlled environment. If they get wet this way, give them time to fully dry before using again. If you use your headphones for yard work or working out, make sure they are sweat resistance.
10) Store your headphones properly: Some models are especially fragile during certain parts of their construction, so make sure you read the manual for storing instructions when it comes to your particular pair of headphones. Some manufacturers suggest keeping them in their original packaging if they’re not used often, for example.
11) Keep the volume down: Even with your amplifier on, never turn the volume up past a comfortable listening level. This can damage your hearing and make you less perceptive to subtleties in music.
12) If you have wireless headphones make sure not to run the battery dead. Typically when the headphones have around 15 to 20 percent charge left it is time to plug them in.
13) Lastly if you have wired headphones, take care of the wires and connections. Damage to the wire or connection from misuse may leave you out of luck and without a working headphone.
Now that you know how to keep your headphones in great condition, check out some of our recommendations for headphones on a budget. Sennheiser HD 660 S Review and Best Headphones under $500.
We hope that these steps will help you take care of your headphones, and make them last a lifetime. Remember to always be gentle with them when handling, not turn the volume up too high, keep them out of hot and humid environments, store properly according to manufacturer instructions–and never run down your battery if you have wireless models! For more information on how we can help advise you about caring for other electronics in your life (such as computers), please contact our team today. We look forward to hearing from you soon!